Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Contemplating the unthinkable.

Not that I don't like my Ikea Expedit bookshelf, and not that I don't appreciate all the blood, sweat and tears that RW put into assembling it for me but it's just never been the bookshelf of my dreams. In a living room without even a hint of a fireplace (perhaps the most lacking feature of this house) I had envisioned a huge floor-to-ceiling bookshelf as the perfect focal point solution. The poor Expedit was just not up to this Herculean task.

So, because it's winter and all I have to think about is what I want to change inside my house, I've been trying to come up with affordable ways to get my floor-to-ceiling dream. Which leads me to my confession: I'm seriously considering using cinder blocks. I'll pause while you try to regain your ability to breathe.

Shockingly (or perhaps not) there's a real dearth of inspirational images of cinder block bookcases out there. However, I feel quite confident that with the right wood (and hopefully less loss of bodily fluids for RW) I can come up with an inexpensive and yet visually appealing solution to my bookshelf desires.

I'll keep you updated but for now try to imagine the potential in this idea.